How to take the bull by the horns when it comes to recruitment
This is our second blog on the topic of recruiting and keeping good people. Last time we looked at how some simple preparation could help you to hire the right person first time. Now we move on to examining how to take the bull by the horns and run a recruitment campaign to fill a vacancy. As opposed to just meeting someone whose details are passed to you, having a coffee and offering them the job!
Taking control of your recruitment sounds great doesn’t it? So, here’s how to get started:
- Once you have your job advert detailing both the technical and softer skills that are required, it’s time to post it on job boards. Job boards, such as Jobsite.co.uk, are great for the trades. They will get your vacancy in front of a wide audience, which is essential as we want to cast the net wide and then have a process in place to sift through the applicants to find the good ones.
- Be sure to ask for a CV in the job advert. This not only shows a candidate’s qualifications but also enables you to see where they have worked, how long they’ve stayed with previous employers and any gaps in their employment history. Plus, a CV is a useful reference document when it comes to interview.
- Word of mouth can also be a great way of hiring but ensure this is done alongside advertising on the job boards, and that any candidates that come via this route are provided with the job advert. This will help to set expectations. Make sure to see their CV too so that you can properly compare them to other candidates.
- We all know that networking groups can be a fabulous source of new business but don’t overlook them as a potential source of new people too. So, don’t forget to mention your vacancy and circulate your job advert there too.
- All of which should leave you sitting pretty with a good selection of strong CVs for your consideration. The key thing is to take your time, put some planning into it, and have a process in place to sift and screen all the applications. And that’s what we’ll be covering next time.
If this information strikes a chord with you then there are lots more top tips and practical advice in my book ‘Build and Grow – How to go from Tradesperson to Managing Director in the Construction and Trade Industries’ And you can buy it from Amazon via this link http://amzn.to/2CBok2L.